Cost of Entry
Cost per entry is based on a per-SKU basis.
Further details on payment types accepted for each entry can be found in the Retailer and Supplier application forms. Application forms are for those paying by credit card ONLY, if you wish to pay by invoice, please contact [email protected] for details on how to enter.
The judging process for the European Private Label Awards is undertaken by a panel of experts from across the private label spectrum, as well as a number of chefs and culinary experts. All products are assessed in terms of three important metrics:
Innovation. How well does a product convey innovation and differentiation from other products in the marketplace? How well does it tap into consumer trends and/or create new opportunities within its specific category?
Presentation. How well is this product presented? Does the packaging accurately convey the product’s composition and qualities, and to what degree does the product stand out on shelf?
Taste. How does the product taste? Does it meet, or even exceed, taste expectations for a product in its category?
In addition, all products are considered for inclusion in three overall cross-category awards: Innovative Product of The Year, Packaging Excellence Award and Taste Excellence Award. Please note that these categories are not open for entries, and are determined as part of the judging process.
Terms & Conditions
When you enter The European Private Label Awards you confirm as part of the entry process to agree to all the terms and conditions outlined below.
The European Private Label Awards are organised by Madison Publications Ltd, 3 Adelaide St, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin, Ireland.
All companies that enter these Awards will be deemed to have read and understood these rules and be bound by them, as well as by further instructions set out by the organiser.
The Awards are open to all grocery retailers and producers of private label products for the grocery retail industry, including supermarkets, hypermarkets, convenience store, forecourt, discounter, and associated retail formats. However, the products must be sold and available within Europe.
Entries from grocery retailers are not valid unless the name of the producer(s) is/are listed on the entry form.
Entries from suppliers are not valid unless the name of the retailer in which said product appears is also provided. Please note that if said product appears in more than one retailer, the applicant must provide a separate entry for each listing.
There is no restriction on the number of entries or the number of categories that a company can enter. However, applicants must fill out an entry form for each entry.
The fourteen award categories are as follows:
- Ambient Grocery, includes Sauces, Soups, Oils, Canned Products, Conserves, Baby Foods, Baking Products, Stocks, Salad Dressings…
- Beverages (Alcoholic), includes Beer, Wine, Spirits, Flavoured Alcoholic Beverages, RTD Alcoholic Beverages…
- Beverages (Non-Alcoholic), includes Soft Drinks, Juices, Energy Drinks, Squashes, Cordials, Mineral Water…
- Breakfast Products, includes Breakfast Cereals, Porridge, Breads and Pastries, Breakfast Meats, Jams, Preserves, Juices, Smoothies and other breakfast products..
- Confectionery & Snacking, includes Chocolate, Sweets, Gums, Mints, Potato Chips, Popcorn, Biscuits, Cakes, Savoury Dips, Granola Bars, Chips…
- Convenience Foods/Food To Go, includes Ready Meals, Food-to-Go, Pre-Packed Sandwiches and Snacks, Snack Pots, Instant Meals, Prepacked Fresh Berries, Fruit Pots, Chilled Soups…
- Dairy Products, includes Milk and Milk Products, Yoghurt, Yoghurt Drinks, Chilled Desserts, Cream, Cheese, Butter, Dairy Spreads, Flavoured Milk, Milkshakes…
- Free-From Foods, includes Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, Fat-Free, Egg-Free, Lactose-Free, Nut-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free. Sugar-Free, Yeast- Free, Salt-Free, Wheat-Free, GMO-Free food and beverage products across all grocery categories…
- Frozen Food, includes Frozen Meat Products, Frozen Vegetable Products, Frozen Snack Products, Ice Cream and other frozen categories…
- Meal Accompaniments, includes Pasta, Rice, Gravy Mixes, Prepared Potato Products, Prepared Side Dishes…
- Meat & Seafood, includes Sliced Meats, Chilled Prepared Meats, Meat Products, Seafood Products, Shellfish…
- Non-Food (Household), includes Detergents, Washing Up Liquids, Fabric Softeners, Dishwasher Products, Ignition Products, Refuse Sacks, Household Sprays, Bathroom Cleaners, Kitchen Cleaners, Air Fresheners, Batteries, Hard Surface Cleaners…
- Non-Food (Personal Care), includes Deodorants, Creams, Lotions, Shower Gels, Soaps, Shampoo, Hair Conditioners, Razors, Sanitary Protection, Baby Wipes, Nappies, Diapers, Facial Tissues, Toothpaste, Oral Care Products, Oral Analgesics, Cough & Cold Remedies…
- Sauces & Condiments, includes Table Sauces, Salt, Pepper, Ketchup, Mustard, Salad Dressings and other condiments…
PLEASE NOTE: All entries will be also considered for inclusion in three overall cross-category awards: Innovative Product of The Year, Packaging Excellence Award and Taste Excellence Award. Please note that these categories are not open for entries.
Entry is on a per-SKU basis. However, in the instance that a particular product is available in several different sizes, for example: Aldi Specially Selected Infusion Tea Bags – Green Tea 400g; Aldi Specially Selected Infusion Tea Bags – Green Tea 800g; Aldi Specially Selected Infusion Tea Bags – Green Tea 1kg;applicants need only enter one SKU. If a product is deemed a Winner or Finalist in their category, applicant is permitted to use Winner/Finalist branding on all products in SKU family.
Each category will feature an Overall Winner, as well as three Category Finalists. In each case, both the retailer (in which the product is stocked) and the supplier (which produces the product) is acknowledged. Therefore, each category will have two winners (retailer and associated supplier) and six finalists (three retailers and associated suppliers) acknowledged.
All entries are subject to an entry fee, with discounts available for multiple entries. Entry fee must be paid with application.
The cost per entry is as follows below. Should you wish to be invoiced for your entry, as opposed to paying by credit card, please select ‘Other Payment Method’ using the application form, and email [email protected].
- 1-5 entries (€195 per entry)
- 6-10 entries (€180 per entry)
- 11-20 entries (€165 per entry)
- 21-50 entries (€145 per entry)
- 50+ entries (€95 per entry)
Entries must be submitted by 5 November 2021. The organiser does not accept responsibility for entries lost, damaged or delayed as a result of computer or network failure. No late entries will be accepted.
Entry forms must state the name of the individual, job title, and company responsible for submitting the entry. All further correspondence regarding the Awards will be conducted with said individual.
All products entered must be commercially available in the grocery retail sector in the period October 2020 to October 2021. Products must have been developed according to standard production procedures, in no way different to products sold to the public.
It is the responsibility of all applicants to ensure the safe delivery of all entries. Applicants should state if products need to be refrigerated, and all products must carry a use-by date (or use-by guidance provided separately).
It is the responsibility of the entrant to ensure that all foods are packed, transported and delivered in a condition fit and safe for consumption by the judges, in mid-November 2021. This includes ensuring refrigerated, frozen or chilled products are kept at a suitable temperature during transport. Details of where to send samples will be provided on receipt of entry.
The organiser cannot accept responsibility for lost, late or mislaid products, and/or entries that do not comply with these terms and conditions.
No entries can be returned to the applicant during or after the judging process.
The organiser reserves the right to reject any entry that it deems inappropriate or unsuitable for inclusion in the judging programme.
All submitted products (except for those in non-food categories), will be subjected to a taste test. Products will be prepared for tasting by the organisers according to on-pack instructions.
The organiser reserves the right to change the categories and/or judging panel without prior notice to entrants. Participating judges reserve the right to nominate products for participation in these awards, if they so wish.
If payment for an entry has been received, but the application form hasn’t been fully completed as per the terms and conditions, Madison Publications reserves the right to withdraw the product from the judging process. No refund will be provided in such an instance.
The organiser’s decision on all matters related to this competition is legally binding. The decision of the judging panel is final and it will not enter into any correspondence.
Supporting material (images, text) provided with entries may be used for marketing purposes by Madison Publications, without prior notice to entrants.
Madison Publications reserves the right to contact all applicants seeking further information, and/or with regard to marketing relating to this event.
Winners and finalists are permitted to publicise their success for a period of two years, provided that the year is indicated in all published materials, and the product formulation and packaging is unchanged. The Organiser licenses any winner or finalist to use the relevant Awards logo in connection with its award.
The shortlist for each category will be published in ESM Issue 1 2022 (due January 2022), with the Winners and Finalists for each category published in ESM Issue 2 2022 (due March 2022). Applicants are not permitted to publicise their achievement in the Awards until Issue 1 2022 has been published.
It is a condition of entry that all applicants will be bound by these rules. The organiser’s decision on all matters relating to this competition is final and legally binding.
This agreement which incorporates these terms and conditions, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of the Republic of Ireland and those entering these awards hereby irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Irish courts.
If one or more of these terms and conditions are found by any competent authority to be invalid, unlawful or otherwise unenforceable then such terms and conditions shall be severed from the remaining conditions which shall continue to be valid and enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by law.